We had to say goodbye to Honey last Thursday. As most of you in the family know, she has been getting progressively sicker the last year. When I found her 5 years ago, wandering the country roads, she already had the start of some tumors on her stomach. The vets recommended not removing them since they weren’t causing her any pain, and it was generally agreed that they would just return if removed. She had a toe removed about a year ago with a nasty tumor attached. Biopsies were declined, as we would not subject our pets to chemo. As long as her quality of life was good, we would continue to love her. On the Sunday before she was put down, she had an odd “episode” which was repeated, but much worse, Thursday evening. My mom thinks it was probably strokes and the vet agreed. I knew it was coming, this last year she has been doing everything Casey did her last year, and we found out at her death that she was riddled with tumors. What is sad and scary to me is that we’ve lost three dogs to cancer in less than two years. All were purebreds, and it could just be coincidence of breeding. I think it’s the dog food. It’s terrible – have you ever read the label?
Brice has been doing very well. David and Rachel helped my mom take her to the vet after dinner when she showed she was not improving from her episodes. Before they took her I had Brice give her a hug. He was very upset when they carried her out to the car, so I think he knew what was going on was truly sad. She was his best friend. He has talked to me twice about her, and I've said “Honey was sick and she went bye-bye.” It’s hard to explain to a toddler. Sunday he was asking Nana Sheila about her and she explained that Honey was sick and with Lady now. He said something along the lines of “I hug her” confirming my belief that he knew. I’m so glad I had him give her a hug.
As annoying as she could be at times, she was such a sweet dog. She would let Brice crawl all over her without a peep. Which is very surprising, considering she was an older dog when he was born. We had always suspected she had a family with kids before. I think that confirmed it. She shed like crazy, but boy do I miss her helping me keep the floors clean of food! Now I'm vacuuming every day just to keep Brice’s mess off the floor, instead of dog hair!
Oh so sad, sorry to hear. We went throguh something similar.
ReplyDeleteColin keeps asking about Honey and asks to go see her. I have not had the heart to tell him. I guess I will have to on Tuesday before we come out :( RIP Honey
ReplyDelete