Today was a hard day. We had to say goodbye to Lady today. Rather unexpectedly, she got ill this week and just couldn’t seem to perk up. After a trip to the vet yesterday, it was determined that she probably had cancer and it had just reached a point where it was taking a toll on her. Everything seemed to be okay until these last few days. Scans were done and it was determined that there were some nodules in her lungs as well as something on her stomach. Also, because of this there was some fluid on the lungs that was causing her to have breathing that was a little labored. Pain medications weren’t really helping her pain, either. We had absolutely no idea that this was coming. She has been perfectly fine until this point and she was taken to the vet thinking it was a completely different thing. So to hear “cancer” was very hard. Especially for mom who has had Lady for 10 years now.
For those of you that knew her, she was such a special little dog and it is all together too soon to see her go. She was truly part of this family and more than just a dog. She is resting peacefully now, free from pain.
I think Honey must have known what was going on, because yesterday she gave her kisses before going to the vet and today she hasn’t whined for her like she usually does. Brice somehow understands, too. I took him outside when it was time to burry her and we told him it was time to see “bye-bye” to Lady.
Later, inside the house, he was telling Honey that Lady was outside and bye-bye. How such a little guy understands such a thing is beyond my understanding. But to hear him share it with Honey is priceless.
I have always felt that children and animals are more receptive and seeing than we adults are, and I’m sure the two of them understood a lot better than we think they do.
Makes me teary-eyed to look at these pictures. I also had a Westie who had cancer, and I had to make that same decision for her, when she was only 11 years old.
ReplyDeleteI have African Grey parrots. One had been around Tiffany (my dog) for several years, and used her name. The other was relatively new and had never called Tiffany by name, but rather called her by the name of another dog she (the bird) had been around before coming to live here. As I was leaving the house with the dog for the very last time, both of those birds said in such a sad voice, "Bye Tiff".
I just love Westies! They are devoted,feisty, and fearless.
Bless your family! We just had to say goodbye to our long-time pup a few months ago ourselves. He was 16 years old and had been part of my husband's life for 12, and mine for 8. It was a bittersweet moment because we knew it was the best thing to do, but it was so hard. At least we can find comfort knowing that we gave our pups the best life possible.
ReplyDeleteM :)
http://Mandthe2Henrys.blogspot.com
Oh Christina I am so sorry! Poor little Lady
ReplyDeleteShe was given lots of love in her life by her humans but its so sad to hear shes gone.. so sorry
Lady was a very special dog. Colin and I will miss her so very much. Our hearts go out to you, your mom, Brice, and Honey.
ReplyDeleteWe let Colin say good bye to Roxy and we told him she was going to her new home and that she would not be coming back. He gave her lots of loves and said good bye. He has not once asked where she is since then. Our boys amaze me more then I ever thought they would.
Rest in peace Lady.
Oh what a sad/hard day indeed! So sorry for your loss. It is such a hard road to say goodbye to a loved family friend.
ReplyDeleteShe was such a CUTE little gal! Blessings and may you have only happy memories :)
I know these days are hard, and for anyone who loves animals, we know these days will come eventually. I am sorry.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry.
ReplyDeleteWhat a cute dog...she had a good life with your family I'm sure.